Honiton Bowling Club, in East Devon, has been in existence for almost 100 years. Our Centenary will be celebrated in 2021. The club was founded in 1921 and moved to its current site, in Streamers Meadows, Honiton, in 1930.
The first mention, that we have found, of bowling in Honiton was in a newspaper article in 1916 which reports the formation of an informal club playing, by kind permission of the the headmaster, on Allhallows’ Cricket Field. In 1921, the Pine Park Club, as it was known then, was formed and had its first green on a piece of borrowed land on the Pine Park Estate. However, in 1929 this land was put up for sale and the club sought a permanent home and subsequently bought the land in Streamers Meadows for £160. We have a lot more detailed information about our history which is on the Club History web page.
The club is entirely owned and managed by its members solely for the benefit of its members, we have no shareholders. All profits are reinvested in the club to maintain and improve its facilities.
We are fortunate in having both a 6/7 rink outdoor green and a 4 rink indoor green, which was opened in 1990 on land adjacent to the outdoor green. So it is possible for members to play bowls throughout the year without changing venue. All club members are entitled to take part in both indoor and outdoor bowling upon payment of the appropriate annual subscription.
Overall, we have approximately 260 members, some play just indoors, a proportion play both indoors and out and a few are solely outdoor bowlers. During the outdoor closed season we have a number of bowlers join us from other local bowling clubs for indoor bowling
The club is registered as a Community Amateur Sports Club.